On September 21, 2017, NBP hosted the Braille and Brew fundraiser at Aeronaut Brewing Company in Somerville. The successful event raised $2,490 to help fund braille literacy programs like ReadBooks! and Great Expectations.
The evening included a blindfolded tasting of four distinct beers, each paired with a different food item. The blindfolded participants were asked to describe what flavors they were tasting in the beers, which launched a lively conversation around blindness, braille literacy, and volunteer opportunities at NBP.
Fundraisers like the Braille and Brew allow NBP to reach new people and expose them to our programs and services. Participant Melanie Biancucci had been meaning to check out the Aeronaut Brewing Company, so the fundraiser seemed like a great way to give back and try new beers! “It was a fun experience to have with friends and family that combines food and learning all in one. I was able to learn a lot about braille and other ways to get involved with NBP!”
Chris Astephen learned about the Braille and Brew through a friend who had shared the event on Facebook. “Great beer, great community atmosphere, great cause. It was a different spin on fundraising that gets people engaged to the cause. I would 100% do it again!”
Interested in getting involved? NBP has many fundraisers and volunteer opportunities that allow you to get involved doing what you like most. Here are some options:
- Attend or volunteer for our Annual Gala on October 20th in Boston! Learn more on our website.
- Set up a group volunteer event with your friends, family, or company putting together our print/braille book of the month.
- Run on Team NBP for the Boston Marathon, or join the Blindfold Challenge and run a 5K!
- Join us for our second annual Bike Bus Fundraiser in January 2018. More details to come.
- Become a front desk volunteer. Greet people as they come to visit NBP, answer the phones, and direct people to the right departments!
- Help us get the word out about our Giving Tuesday Campaign.
To learn more about these opportunities, contact Joe Quintanilla at 617-425-2415 or email@example.com.